Thursday, January 12, 2012

Right vs. Wrong


When I was ten years old I knew the difference between right from wrong.  I knew it was wrong to lie, steal, cheat, be disrespectful, make jokes at others expense, talk back to a parent or teacher, etc. I understood that these ideas and actions were morally wrong or against the law.  Yet, I also understood that sometimes people’s own personal desires proved to be stronger than their moral understandings and behavior.  I knew that I too was often tempted by my own desires to push my conscience aside to the corner of my mind.  That little voice telling me that what I’m doing is wrong is just going to have to wait.  Yet, somehow I almost always managed to stop myself before any real harm was done.
So when I sat in the back of the classroom knowing not a single answer to the questions sitting in front of me, I felt that temptation to peer over at my neighbor’s paper.  I kept telling myself it wouldn’t hurt them. It wouldn’t hurt anyone. No one will know.  Why is this such a bad thing? For those few seconds I was fully prepared to cheat off my classmate’s paper. I had seen plenty of people do it before and not get caught. Why couldn't I do it?  No one would see or know. Yet the one part of my brain that knew it was morally wrong stood its ground.  I spent about fifteen minutes sitting there deciding whether or not I should cheat.  I hadn’t paid attention in class and it was a pop quiz so it was quite obvious that I would fail it if I didn't cheat.  I kept telling myself, I should fail this.  This is my punishment for not caring or bothering to listen in class.
It took all my willpower to do the right thing and not cheat.  I got my quiz back a week later and sure enough, I had received a C-.  And although I should have been angry at myself for doing so poorly, all I could feel was relief for making the right choice and not cheating.  I deserved the grade I got.  To add to my relief, the student I was considering cheating off of did worse than me.  When I saw that, I knew it was ironic and slightly fated.  Had I cheated, karma would have been slapping me in the face with an even worse grade.
The next weekend I found myself sitting in my Sunday school room when my teacher said, “I’m going to ask you all a question and I want you to answer honestly.  If you all were given a test that determined whether you had an A or a B in a class and you hadn’t studied for the test, would you cheat to get an A or fail the test and get a B? And if you cheat, no one will know and you will not get in trouble.”  I watched as each student anonymously turned in their answers.  The count was in.  Over 50% of the students would have cheated to get an A.  I was one of the few who could honestly answer that they would do the right thing and not cheat.  I have been forever proud of that.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the event you picked to write about. I think everyone has had to make the same choice one time or another, so they can relate to your story. The details are great too, especially when you are describing your decision and what was going through your mind. I could understand exactly how you felt because of the details you used. Also, I liked how the end was like Two with the statistics. The part about the other kid getting a worse grade and karma was funny and really good too. However, you could have used more similes or metaphors. Maybe you could have used another easier decision you had to make, like choosing a color to paint your room or something, as a metaphor for this moral decision. The only other thing is the last paragraph seems a little rushed with not as many details as the other ones.
    - Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete